Diabetes has been treated with plant and herbal medicines for centuries. Not surprisingly then, that recent scientific investigation has confirmed the effectiveness of many herbs for Diabetes. The following list of readily available herbs and natural medicines which are known to have a positive effect on type 2 diabetes, whilst at the same time, also being known to be relatively non-toxic are listed below.
* A plant grown predominantly in India, and also known as the Indian Kino Tree, has long been used in Indian medicine as a treatment for diabetes. An extract from the bark of this plant has been shown to regenerate functional pancreatic beta cells, where no other drug or natural agent has been shown to generate this activity before.
* Bitter Melon is a tropical fruit that has been used extensively as a remedy for diabetes also. The leaves of the plant are brewed in hot water to create a tea that has been used to treat both malaria and diabetes. The leaves are allowed to steep in hot water before being strained thoroughly so that only the remaining liquid is used for the tea. Also the fresh juice or extract of the unripe fruit has been shown to have blood sugar lowering ability. Diabetics taking insulin however should use bitter melon with caution, as it may lead to severe hypoglycemia.
* Gymnema Sylvestre assists the pancreas to produce insulin in Type 2 diabetics, and also improves the ability of insulin to lower blood sugar in both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetics. It also helps to decrease the cravings for sweet foods. This herb can be an excellent substitute for oral blood sugar-lowering drugs taken by Type 2 diabetics.
* Blueberry leaves. An extract of the leaves of the blueberry plant has a long history of use in the treatment of diabetes. Blueberry extracts in ‘blind’ placebo trials have shown a marked effect on reducing blood sugar levels after the ingestion of food.
* Onion and Garlic both have proven significant blood sugar lowering ability. Clinical evidence suggests that the active ingredient in Onions and Garlic lowers glucose levels by competing with insulin for the insulin inactivating sites in the liver, resulting in an increase of free insulin. Onion extract, in clinical trials was also found to reduce blood sugar levels during oral and intravenous glucose tolerance tests.
* Asian Ginseng which is commonly used in Chinese medicine for the treatment of diabetes has been shown to enhance the release of insulin from the pancreas and to increase the number of insulin receptors. It also has a direct blood sugar lowering effect.
* Fenugreek is another Herb for diabetes, Fenugreek seeds have shown anti diabetic characteristics in clinical studies.
* Bilberry has been suggested to assist in lowering the risk of some diabetic complications, such as the diabetic eye conditions common to diabetics, retinopathy for example.
* Ginkgo Biloba has been suggested to be helpful in the prevention and treatment of early-stage diabetic nerve damage.
* Cinnamon which is often used as a spice, also has the ability to triple the efficiency of insulin.
So, there really are some effective natural herbal treatments for diabetes, however whilst these natural herb treatments for diabetes can be readily available, and possibly very effective in treating type 2 diabetes naturally, we have listed these natural herb options for general interest point of view only. If you are wanting a natural (as opposed to the traditional drugs) treatment for type 2 diabetes we would suggest that you discuss the options with your Doctor and either a qualified dietitian, or naturopath, and also get a hold of the original Diabetes Reversal Report.